Spinach and almonds have long been a great match, be it in salads, stir-fries or even soups.
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 4 Tbsp olive oil or coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- ½ tsp black pepper, ground
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika or Spanish paprika
- 2 cups cooked spinach
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 Tbsp sherry vinegar or lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- Put onions and oil in a pot on medium-low heat. Cook until golden (5-10 minutes), then add spices. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop spinach.
- Once the onion is cooked, add spinach and garlic to the pot. Stir well and simmer for 3 minutes, the time it takes to heat the spinach through. Incorporate salt, vinegar and almonds.
A variation of the Tomato-braised beets from The Spice Trekkers Cook at Home