This is a great, easy and, admittedly, decadent brunch idea. You can prepare the ramequins ahead of time. The eggs can cook in the oven white last minute preparations are made… and everything will be ready at the same time!
- 8 Tbsp butter
- 12 extra large eggs
- ¾ cup 35% cream
- 4 Tbsp fine herbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hint of grated nutmeg (optional)
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Butter twelve 2½ ramequins, using half the butter. Break an egg in each and put a piece of butter on top. Place ramequins in a deep baking sheet (so as not to burn yourself later).
- Mix cream, fine herbs, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in a bowl. (These steps can be done 1 hour in advance.)
- Place baking sheet in oven, sliding out slightly to pour in ¾ inch boiling water. Carefully slide baking sheet back into oven and close the door.
- Bake until egg whites are cooked through and yolks are creamy (6-12 minutes depending on the thickness of the ramequins). Open oven and put 1 spoonful of cream on each egg. Bake for 1 minute. Serve immediately with toasted bread or brioche.