This hummus can be served as a dip, alone, as one of many mezzes, or even as a side to meat or vegetables dishes.
- 2 cups roast or boiled beets, chilled
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 orange juice
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Chile flakes, to taste
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ½ cup tahini, well stirred
- 2 Tbsp walnut oil or olive oil
- Walnuts for garnish
- Chop beets and place in a food processor. Add garlic, lemon and orange juice, salt, pepper, chile, orange zest and nuts. Purée.
- Incorporate tahini into the squash mixture, then add the oil of your choice. Add a little water if the hummus is too thick.
- Garnish, to taste, with nut or olive oil.
A variation of the Squash and Hazelnut Hummus from The Spice Trekkers Cook at Home