This recipe is great with other vegetables, and is a good opportunity to use up leftover cooked veggies. The important thing is stewing the onions in the tomato sauce well.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 Tbsp clarified butter or Ethiopian clarified butter
- 1 Tbsp ginger, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped fine
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups cooked cauliflower
- 2 tsp Royal Berbere or Ethiopian Berbere, ground
- Reshampatti to taste (opt.)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 bunch basil
- Put onions and clarified butter in a pot on medium heat. Cook until golden. Add ginger, tomato paste and tomatoes. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Mash cauliflower with a pestle.
- Once tomatoes have dissolved into a sauce, add Berbere, chile, cauliflower and garlic to the pot. Mix well and simmer for 5 minutes. Add salt and ¾ of the basil. Simmer for another 2-3 minutes. Garnish with remaining basil.
A variation of the Tomato-braised Beets from The Spice Trekkers Cook at Home