Ethné went all Caribbean on this recipe: cumin in the meat, chiles in the corn, nutmeg in the potatoes and other modifications add a much needed dose of flavor to this comfort food and staple of Québecois cuisine.
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb combined lean ground beef, pork, and veal
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-1½ tsp Cumin
- Black Pepper
- ½ tomato, chopped or 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Nutmeg or Mace
- Butter, to taste
- 4 cups kernel corn
- Aleppo pepper
- In a pan, sauté onion in olive oil for three minutes.
- Add meats and cook until crumbly.
- Add remaining Meat Mixture ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook potatoes until soft. Drain.
- Mash potatoes.
- In a pot, heat the milk with butter, salt, nutmeg and green onions. Once heated, pour into Mashed Potatoes and whisk. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together corn, salt and hot pepper.
- In a blender, purée a portion of corn mixture.
- In a flat casserole dish, create three layers with ingredients in the following order: meat, corn, potatoes. Cook 30-40 minutes at 375ºF.
Philippe & Ethné de Vienne©