This cold potato dish is a Peruvian classic. The sauce, lightly flavored with Aji Amarillo, keeps for 2-3 days in the fridge and is a great veggie dip or even pasta sauce.
- 2 lbs new potatoes
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- Black olives
- 3 soaked Ajis Amarillo or ¾ cup Aji Amarillo paste
- 100 g queso fresco or feta cheese
- 4 saltines or crumbs from one slice of bread
- ¾ cup milk
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- To make the sauce, place ajis in a food processor. If using whole, rehydrated ajis, then purée them for 5 minutes. If using aji paste, proceed to step two.
- Add remaining sauce ingredients and purée. Set aside.
- Boil potatoes in salted water until they are cooked but still somewhat firm. Drain and dry completely.
- Place lettuce leaves on a large plate. Slice potatoes and lay on lettuce leaves.
- Pour the sauce over the potatoes and garnish with hardboiled eggs and olives.