This recipe is a little-known pearl that comes from Greek cuisine. This may seem an unusual combination of ingredients, but thanks to the grilled cumin, it’s a real delicacy. For a richer version, add a little feta cheese.
- 4 mild green chiles or bell peppers
- 2 peaches, quartered
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- Pepper (Maras or Alep), to taste
- Halve the peppers, remove the seeds and pith and oil them lightly.
- Place on a baking pan and roast in the oven until the skin begins to blacken.
- Cut the peaches in quarters. Place in a bowl with the peppers.
- Toast the cumin in a small, dry pan.
- When the cumin is toasted, turn off the heat and add to the peaches and peppers.
- Add the lemon juice, oil and salt and mix.
- Garnish with the pepper and serve.
A variation of the Orange and onion salad from The Spice Trekkers Cook at Home