All you need to balance out the bitterness of turnip is a touch of maple syrup.
- 3 cups boiled turnips
- 4 Tbsp duck fat or bacon
- ½ tsp fenugreek seed
- ½ tsp black pepper, cracked
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp ginger, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup or honey
- Peel turnip and chop it into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat a pan or wok on medium. Add duck fat, fenugreek and cracked pepper. Sauté 15-30 seconds, until the fenugreek begins to color.
- Add onion and ginger. Cook for a few minutes, until onions are golden. Add turnip and cook for a few minutes until it is warmed through. Mash into a purée in the wok with a wooden pestle or potato masher. Cook 2-3 minutes more, stirring regularly. Salt and incorporate maple syrup.
A variation of the Refried Squash with Garlic Scapes from The Spice Trekkers Cook at Home