An aromatic and lightly colored rice, which goes great with a curry, a fish dish, vegetables, or meat.
- 2 cups basmati rice
- ¼ g saffron
- 4 Tbsp ghee or butter
- 2 cups onions, chopped fine
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon leaf or 2 bay leaves
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups stock or water
- Rinse rice in a colander under running water. Let drain in the colander.
- Put saffron in a small glass and add 4 tablespoons of boiling water. Set aside.
- Heat a thick-bottomed pot on medium. Add onion and ghee. Sauté for 2 minutes then add cardamom, cinnamon, clove and cinnamon leaf. Sauté gently, stirring on occasion, until the onions are translucent.
- Pour rice into the pot and stir. Add saffron and saffron water. Add stock or water and salt to taste.
- Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and continue cooking for around 15 minutes. Turn off heat, but leave the pot on the burner to slowly finish cooking.
- Fluff rice with a fork before serving.