A perfect dish for a vegetarian meal, served hot or cool, accompanied by rice and a vegetable curry.
- 1 block tempeh (250 g)
- ½ cup oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Thai chili, minced or samba olek
- 1 tsp. Balinese curry, ground
- ¼ cup kejap manis
- 2 tsp. soaked tamarind or lemon juice
- Cut the tempeh into 1 cm matchsticks.
- Heat the oil in a wok and cook half the tempeh until it begins to brown and get crispy. Repeat with the rest of the tempeh.
- Remove the crisp tempeh and place on a paper towel. Return the wok to the heat with about 2 Tbsp. oil.
- Add the onion, garlic, and chile and cook on high heat for about 1 minute. Add the spices, mix well, then add the tempeh.
- Stir fry for another minute or so, then add the kejap and the tamarind. Mix well until the tempeh is well coated.