Turlu Turlu is a Turkish vegetable dish similar to Ratatouille. There are numerous variations, including many with meat.
- 2 cups eggplant, in 1-inch cubes
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 2 medium onions
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 2 zucchini
- 2 green Hungarian peppers
- 3 artichokes
- 1 Tbsp coriander seed
- ½ tsp fenugreek
- Black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ cup Turkish pepper paste
- ¼ cup wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup green beans
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup chopped herbs (parsley, mint and dill)
- Place cubed eggplant in a bowl. Sprinkle the salt and massage it into the eggplant for about 2 minutes. Let excess water drain for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare the other ingredients.
- Chop tomatoes, onions, zucchini and Hungarian peppers into 1-inch cubes. Peel and quarter artichokes and remove choke. Grind spices.
- Squeeze eggplant cubes with your hands to remove the bitter juice. Rinse in running water, drain well and squeeze out juice one more time.
- Place eggplant, chopped vegetables, herbs and spices in a pot. Mix pepper paste, vinegar and oil together in a bowl and pour into the pot. Add bay leaf and stir. Put the pot on medium heat and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until vegetables are softened, 45 minutes or a little longer. Cover if liquid is evaporating too quickly.
- Clean green beans. Add the green beans and garlic to the pot and cook for 10 more minutes. Salt, if needed.
- Turn off heat and let cool for 20 minutes. Incorporate chopped herbs when serving.
A variation of the Georgian Ratatouille from The Spice Trekkers Cook at Home