Butter Chicken from the Dhabas of Amritsar
Somewhat more peppery and hot than traditional butter chicken. Nevertheless, the fragrances of this rendition are nothing short of rapturous.
- 1 chicken, quartered
- 7 oz. yogurt
- 10 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, chopped
- 3 Tbsp Butter chicken masala, ground
- Salt, to taste
- 3 oz. ghee or butter
- 2 tomatoes, diced or 3/4 cup canned tomatoes
- 1 cup cream
- 4-6 Tbsp cold butter, diced
- 4 tbsp cilantro
- 1 Tbsp Garam Masala (opt.)
In a bowl, combine the chicken with the yogurt, garlic, ginger, Butter chicken masala and salt. Marinate for 1-48 hours.
In a frying pan, melt the ghee and sauté the marinated chicken for 12-13 minutes.
Add tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes more.
Add cream and, if desired, salt. Simmer for 5 minutes. Incorporate butter cubes one by one while mixing.
Garnish each portion with a sprinkle of garam masala and chopped cilantro. Serve.