A deliciously fresh recipe. The nut and herb pesto can be refrigerated for 48 hours after being made.
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 medium English cucumber
- ½ red onion
- 1 green bell pepper (opt.)
- ¼ cup parsley
- 1 small bouquet of basil (purple, if possible)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 generous pinch of Cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp khmeli suneli, ground *
- ¾ cup walnuts
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 to 4 Tbsp water
* or ½ tsp coriander seeds + ½ tsp blue fenugreek + 1 tsp marigold petals
Roughly dice the tomatoes and cucumber. Julienne the onion and cut the bell pepper into strips, then place all the vegetables in a bowl.
Chop the parsley and using your fingers, gently tear the basil leaves apart. Add to the bowl.
Place the garlic, salt, Cayenne pepper and spices in a mortar and pound to a purée.
Add the nuts and cilantro, continue pounding to form a rustic pesto. You can also use a food processor.
Dilute with vinegar and just enough water to create a more liquid paste.
Taste and adjust for salt, vinegar and the pepper, according to personal preference.
When ready to serve, pour the pesto on the vegetables and mix well.