A very flavorful chicken recipe to serve in large bowl and eat over rice with steamed vegetables.
- 1 large chicken, including head, organs and feet, chopped into uneven pieces, or chopped into 2 inch cubes
- 3 large Chinese Black cardamom pods, whole
- 3 White cardamom pods, whole
- 3 large Star Anise, or 6 small star anis, whole
- 30-40 small branches of Sichuan peppercorn leaves/or 2 tsp of red Sichuan peppercorns, whole
- 5 dried red chilies, chopped into large pieces
- 3 large shallots, chopped into large pieces
- 1 large head of garlic, broken into whole cloves
- 2 medium sized whole ginger roots, smashed
- ½ can of beer (optional)
Heat your wok and pour ½ cup of oil.
When the oil is hot but not burning, put the star anis, red chilies, black cardamom and white cardamom and stir for 45 sec-1 min (add the Sichuan peppercorns at this point if you do not have the leaves).
Add the chicken and stir fry stirring almost constantly for 10 minutes.
Add the garlic and shallots, stir fry for 2 minutes.
Add the ginger, stir fry for another 2 minutes.
Lower the temperature under your wok, allowing the contents to gently simmer for 20 min.
Cover for the last 3 min of cooking time (at this point the addition of ½ can of beer is optional, but may dry out the chicken a bit)