A unanimously beloved, hearty dish, especially when made with an Italian sausage-based tomato sauce.
- 30 Italian tomatoes, diced OR 4 cans of tomatoes, diced
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, slivered
- 5 Italian sausages, cut into 1 ½-cm thick disks
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 4 Tbsp Pizza Spice blend or Pasta "staff" spice blend or Little Italy blend
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 16 fresh lasagna pasta strips
- 500g mozzarella, grated
Sauté the onions and garlic in oil in a pot on medium-high heat for 4 minutes.
Add the sausages and cook for 8 to 10 minutes on medium, stirring occasionally.
Add the tomato paste, spices, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix well.
Add the tomatoes, mix and simmer on low heat for about 45 minutes.
Heat the oven to 350 °F.
In a large, rectangular heat-resistant dish, place the sauce, pasta and cheese in successive layers. Repeat 3 times – finishing with a cheese layer.
Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, until the top is golden.