This is without a doubt the epitome of comfort food for many Japanese families. Pork, chicken, shrimp or tofu; feel free to choose your own source of protein. You can also switch up the vegetables, but potatoes and carrots are expected. For many, green peas are also a must.
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 5 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp Japanese Curry, ground
- 1 pork tenderloin (1lb) cut in 1 – inch cubes
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups 1 – inch cubed potatoes
- 2 cups 1 – inch cubed carrots
- 1 cup green beans cut into 1 – inch pieces
- 1 cup 1 – inch cubed zucchinis
- 1 cup green peas
- Salt to taste
- 1-4 Tbsp sugar, to taste
- 1-2 tsp Worcesteshire sauce OR Japanese soy sauce
Place onions and oil in a large pan. Heat on medium and sauté lightly for a few minutes until the onions are translucid.
Incorporate the flour and stir without stopping for 1 minute. Incorporate the ground Japanese curry for another minute, while mixing.
Add the pork and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally to blanch the meat.
Add the water and potatoes then bring to a boil.
Add the carrots and boil for 5 minutes.
Incorporate the green beans, zucchini, peas, salt and sugar.
Cook until the vegetables are al dente. Incorporate the Worcestershire sauce.
Serve with steamed rice.