Serve this Indonesian coconut milk and vegetable stew on its own or to accompany another dish.
- 1 chayote
- 1 eggplant
- 2 cups green beans
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup pumpkin or cooking squash
- 2 Tbsp coconut or vegetable oil
- 3 Salam leaves or 1 bay leaf
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves
- 1 piece fresh (or dried and rehydrated) galanga
- 1 piece fresh ginger
- 1½ cups coconut milk
- ¼ cup fried shallots
- ¼ cup garlic
- sweet and hot peppers to taste
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- 2 slices fresh ginger
Peel and clean vegetables. Cut into pieces.
Grind bumbu ingredients to a paste-like consistency.
Cook bumbu in 2 Tbsp of oil for about 5 minutes.
Add coconut milk and remaining spices.
Simmer 5 minutes.
Add vegetables and simmer another 10 minutes.