This simple fast recipe should be spicy. If you don't like uncooked eggs, boil them in the vegetable stew. This dish is easy to make for a large gathering. Just put the stew in small bowls, break the egg on top and put in the oven for a few minutes.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Hungarian sweet chilli or ½ green pepper
- 2 Tbsp clarified butter or a mix of olive oil and butter
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Aleppo pepper or 2 Tbsp Turkish hot pepper paste
- ½ tsp black pepper, ground
- 2 eggs
- 2 oz Turkish cheese (beyaz peynir) or Greek feta cheese
- Aleppo pepper to taste
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 Tbsp dried mint
- ¼ tsp salt
Melt the clarified butter and stir fry onion and chilli in a small casserole until they begin to color.
Add tomatoes, Aleppo pepper, salt and pepper.
Cook until the sauce thickens. Make two small hollows in the sauce and break an egg into each.
Cover and cook over low heat until eggs are poached (4 minutes).
Garnish with cheese, Haydari and a few flakes of Aleppo pepper. Serve with bread.