If possible, use a good olive oil when preparing this recipe, as it’s quality will not be compromised during the lengthy cooking process. This dish can be served with bread, or alongside a variety of mezzes.
Confied vegetables can be keep refrigerated for several days. Simply remove them from the refrigerator a few hours before serving and leave them at room temperature before garnishing with dill and lemon.
Place artichoke hearts, fava beans, olive oil, shallots, paprika, ground coriander and water in a pot (avoid aluminum as it blackens the produce).
Remove a piece of lemon zest with a peeler and add to the pot. Also add the lemon juice. Salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil and mix well. Lower the heat, cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Add ¾ of the dill and continue cooking for another 15 minutes.
Verify that the artichoke hearts are tender. If needed, cook for a few minutes more. Remove the pot from the heat, uncover, mix gently and let rest at least one hour until everything is well confied. Serve garnished with the remaining dill and lemon wedges.
THE ART OF PREPARING ARTICHOKE HEARTS
1. Prepare a bowl of cold water and lemon juice.
2. Remove the small leaves at the foot and at the base of the artichoke.
3. Peel the stem and its periphery with a potato peeler to expose the white skin.
4. Remove large leaves until you get to the tender, somewhat paler ones.
5. Cut off the point of the artichoke with a bread knife.
6. Trim the remaining leaves to the heart with a small knife. Keep only the base of the yellow, tender leaves.
7. Cut the heart in two then remove the choke (the fuzzy part) with a small spoon or the point of a knife.
8. Rinse and put in a bowl of water to prevent the skin from blackening.
9. The hearts are now ready to be cooked.