- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 celery branch, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 sweet red pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 bunch of green onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Tex-Mex spices, ground
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups steamed rice
- 2 cups cooked red beans, strained
- 3 ½ cups vegetable stock or water
- Grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
Heat a large, heavy pan on medium-high heat.
Pour in oil and cook the onion, celery, carrot and pepper. Continue cooking for 4 to 5 minutes until fragrant.
Add the garlic, green onion and spices. Stirring often, cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the tomato and the rice and mix well. Add the beans and the stock. Taste the liquid and salt to taste.
Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for another 20 minutes.
Turn off the heat but leave the pan on the burner. Let rest for 20 to 30 minutes before serving with the accompaniments.