The ingredients found in Hawaiian Poke are also characteristic of those found in Japanese cuisine. It’s important to use fresh fish for this recipe.
- 2 Tbsp dry wakame
- 1 lb tuna filet or fresh fish
- 2 Tbsp ginger, chopped fine
- ½ cup mild onion, sliced fine
- 4 Tbsp coconut aminos or 2 Tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp Reshampatti pepper, ground or fresh hot chile, ground, to taste
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- Salt to taste
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 3 Tbsp toasted sesame
Place wakame in a bowl and cover with ½ cup hot water. Set aside.
Put plates in the fridge for 20 minutes. Rinse fish well and pat dry. Cut fish into 1-inch cubes and place in a bowl.
Drain wakame and add to the cubed fish with remaining ingredients. Stir gently. Divide among the plates and serve.
A variation of the Balinese Tataki from The Spice Trekkers Cook at Home