Taco salad is a crowd-pleasing classic. Today, it commonly includes corn, beans, tomato, avocado, cheese, and steak or chicken, but it originally developed as a lettuce-based vehicle for disposing of Mexican food leftovers. Top it with whatever feels right and the Cali-Mex dressing will do the rest!
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice of 2 large or 3 small limes
- 2 tsp Cali-Mex blend, ground
- Salt to taste
- 1 head lettuce, chopped (green leaf, Boston, or other tender leaf lettuce)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped roughly
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 cup Carne Asada, diced
- ½ cup mild cheese, shredded (panela, mozzarella, jack)
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- Tortilla chips for garnish
- Sliced avocado for garnish
Put dressing ingredients in a jar and shake vigourously. Set aside.
Place chopped lettuce in a large bowl. Add tomatoes, corn, and black beans and toss. Add salad dressing and mix well, ensuring the vegetables are evenly coated.
Top with cheese, meat, and cilantro. Ring salad with tortilla chips and avocado if desired.