Salmon tartare is much better when diced by hand than with a food processor. We suggest adjusting the seasonings to your taste.
- 1½ lbs salmon, with bones removed
- 3-6 scallions, according to size
- 4 Tbsp small capers
- 1-2 Tbsp fish sauce
- 2-4 Tbsp lime juice or lemon
- 1 tsp Spices for Fish
- 2 tsp black pepper, cracked
- Fresh hot chile or Reshampatti pepper, ground
- 1-2 tsp brown sugar or honey
- 4-6 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped fine
- Salt to taste
- Lemon, capers, basil leaves and olive oil for garnish
Chop salmon, with a knife, into ¼-inch cubes and place in a bowl.
Finely chop scallions and add, with capers, fish sauce, lime juice, spices for fish, cracked pepper, chile of your choice, sugar and basil. Mix well and adjust seasonings to your taste.
Serve on a platter garnished with lemon, capers, basil leaves and a splash of olive oil.
A variation of the Kitfo from The Spice Trekkers Cook at Home