Vegetable Soup with Couscous Spices
This recipe is ready in no time. You don’t even need to sauté the ingredients at the beginning- you can just chop up the vegetables and add them as you go along.
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup tomato or Turkish chili paste
- 8 cups vegetables of your choice*
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp Couscous spices, ground
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cup cooked lentils
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 pinch saffron (optional) or 1 Tbsp paprika
- Cilantro, chopped
- Lemon wedges
- Toasted cumin
In a large pot, bring the stock to a boil. Add the tomato paste.
Chop the vegetables then begin adding the ones with the longest cooking times to the stock, and continue add them one at a time as the soup simmers along.
Add the salt, pepper, and couscous spices. Mix well and let simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
Add the olive oil, lentils, chick peas, and saffron. Cook for an additional 10 minutes or so.
Serve with the garnishes.
* Turnip, potatoes, tomatoes (fresh or canned), onion, cabbage, celery, broccoli, leek, zucchini, squash, etc.