If you use cooked shrimp, don’t let them poach more than a minute or two, just enough to heat them through.
- 1 lb peeled shrimp
- ½ cup lime or lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil
- 6 shallots, sliced
- Fresh hot chile to taste
- 1 Tbsp galangal or ginger, grated
- 1 tsp turmeric, ground
- 2 cup coconut milk
- ½ tsp cumin, ground
- ½ tsp fennel seed, ground
- ½ tsp coriander seed, ground
- 3 kaffir lime leaves or lime zest
- 2 medium onions, sliced into sixths
- 2 tomatoes, sliced into sixths
- Rinse shrimp, drain well and place in a bowl with lime, salt and pepper,
- Pour oil into a pot on low heat and gently cook shallots, chile, galangal and turmeric for 10-15 minutes until melting.
- Add coconut milk, cumin, fennel, coriander, lime leaves and onion segments. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Incorporate shrimp and their marinade, then tomatoes. Simmer 5 minutes, until the shrimp is cooked.
A variation of the Chicken Yassa from The Spice Trekkers Cook at Home