Masalé is a spice blend that originated in Mauritius and Réunion. It’s essentially a curry. This recipe is great with shrimp, or any combination of seafood, instead of squid.
- 2 lbs squid, cleaned
- 1 Tbsp Mauritian Masalé or other curry
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp fennel seed
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Reshampatti or Cayenne
- Salt to taste
- 10 dry curry leaves
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp ginger, chopped
- 6 scallions, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped roughly
- 1 lb bok choy
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste or ketchup
- 4 Tbsp coconut aminos
- Cilantro for garnish
- Chop quid into 1-inch pieces. Grind spices and add to the bowl with the squid. Add salt and mix well.
- Soak curry leaves in 2 tablespoons of water.
- Heat a pot on medium. Add oil and heat for a few seconds. Add drained curry leaves and onions. Sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger and scallions. Sauté for 2 minutes. Add the squid. Sauté for a few more minutes, until the oil starts to turn yellow and the squid changes color.
- Chop bok choy into 1-inch pieces. Add to the pot with tomatoes, tomato paste and a small glass of water. Stir well, cover and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Incorporate the coconut and garnish with cilantro.
A variation of the Shrimp and Chicken Masalé from The Spice Trekkers Cook at Home