Overcooked, overcrisp bacon is bad for your health, so we prefer to cook it for a shorter time.
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 small leek, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp smoked paprika or Cajun spices
- Reshampatti to taste
- 1 star anise (opt.)
- 4 cups sweet potatoes, cubed
- ½ cup white wine
- 2 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 vanilla bean, halved
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 Tbsp red onion, chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 lime
- In a large pot, cook bacon in coconut oil on medium heat. Remove bacon when it’s cooked; set aside.
- Add onion, leeks and garlic and cook for a few minutes, until the onions are translucent.
- Add paprika, chile, anise and sweet potatoes. Stir well, add the wine and sautée for 3 more minutes. Add stock, coconut milk, vanilla, salt and pepper. Stir and cook until the sweet potato is tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove vanilla bean and star anise, and purée until smooth with a stick blender. Add water if the soup is too thick. Serve garnished with bacon, red onion and shallots, accompanied with lime quarters.
A variation of the Coconut Cream of Squash from The Spice Trekkers Cook at Home